Laurens County Courthouse

Laurens Courthouse Sq., Laurens, South Carolina

Historic courthouse building in Laurens, SC

Photos 

Laurens County Court House

Photo taken by Joseph Hinson

View this photo at fineartamerica.com

Map 

Street View 

Description 

From about 1863 until 1888 this hip-roofed, Greek Revival style residence was the home of Roscoe Conckling, an infamous Republican political boss during the Grant, Hayes, and Garfield administrations. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, May 15, 1975

The Laurens County Courthouse represents an excellent example of Greek revival architecture in rural South Carolina. Designed by architect Thomas C. Veal and built by Dr. John Wells Simpson, both residents of Laurens, the central portion of the courthouse was constructed in 1837-1838. The massiveness and the decorative elements attest to the affluence of pre-Civil War South Carolina. Laurens County is one of several counties carved out of the Old Ninety-Six District of South Carolina by an act of the General Assembly in 1785. The Courthouse stands on a portion of the four-acre tract that was deeded to the county in 1792 and was the site of two earlier courthouses between 1792 and 1838. Primary construction materials were stone (granite ashlar) and brick. This courthouse contains the office of Miss Jeannie V. Culbertson, the first woman to be publicly elected to a government position in the state. The original projecting porticoes in the front and rear have four Corinthian columns and two simple pilasters supporting entablatures consisting of boxed cornices, modillions, dentils, and simple medallions upon the frieze. The initial construction involved a simple cruciform plan with a low gabled roof. The original plan called for wings, which were added in 1858. In 1911 further additions were made to the wings, the windows remodeled, and the Palladian stairways added. At this time the low elliptical dome was constructed. Listed in the National Register June 19, 1972. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 19, 1972
Reference number
72001214
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Areas of significance
Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Courthouse
Current function
Courthouse
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant years
1838; 1858; 1911

Update Log 

  • November 6, 2013: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Overview", Updated "GPS Coordinates"
  • February 2, 2013: Photo imported by Joseph Hinson

Related landmarks 

Sources