Broome County Courthouse

Court St., Binghamton, New York

Map 

Description 

The site of the Broome County Court House, Court House Square, was the property of William Bingham, proprietor of the Bingham Patent from which the City of Binghamton was formed. The site and subsequent buildings upon it have a long association with legal matters and the development of Binghamton from village to city. As the County Court House, it is an example of a Renaissance Revival building and one of the best known buildings in the city and county, thus making it a regional landmark. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 22, 1973
Reference number
73001164
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Classical Revival
Areas of significance
Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Courthouse
Current function
Courthouse
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant years
1897; 1898

Sources