Minneapolis City Hall-Hennepin County Courthose

400 S. 4th Ave., Minneapolis, Minnesota

Photos 

Municipal Building

1. West and south elevations

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Municipal Building was constructed between 1889 and 1905 from a design by the Minneapolis architectural firm of Long and Kees. The cost was $3,554,000 which as 28¢ a cubic foot. The architectural style is Richardsonian Romanesque after the American architect, Henry Hobson Richardson. The building is similar in style to the latter's Allegheny County Courthouse in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Construction is of pink Ortonville granite, and the building has two stately towers, one of which houses a chiming clock. The structure is characterized by massive surfaces, worked stone arches, extensive interior marble and stained glass. The original terra cotta roof was replaced by copper in 1950. ... The Municipal Building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and in 1977 was designated as a Heritage Preservation Building by the City of Minneapolis. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS MN-30)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 4, 1974
Reference number
74001022
Architectural style
Victorian: Romanesque
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Courthouse; City hall
Current functions
City hall; Courthouse
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899
Significant years
1889; 1905

Update Log 

  • August 3, 2016: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources