Tweed Courthouse

Also known as: Old New York County Courthouse
52 Chambers St., New York, New York

Photos 

New York County Courthouse

1. NORTH, MAIN FACADE

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Old New York County Courthouse symbolizes a classic episode in the annals of American graft and corruption. It is a monument to the machinations of William Marcy ("Boss") Tweed, who ran "the most infamous political machine in our history". This building embodies the Tweed Ring, its power, and the paradox whereby it provided services for the city and gained corrupt profits for itself. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, May 11, 1976

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 25, 1974
Reference number
74001277
Areas of significance
Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Courthouse
Current function
Government office
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant years
1862; 1872

Update Log 

  • November 7, 2013: New photo from Michael Miller
  • June 21, 2012: New Street View added by wdzinc

Sources