U.S. Post Office and Courthouse

83 Broad St., Charleston, South Carolina

Photo 

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse, Left Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

By virtue of its location on the “Four Corners of the Law” the United States Post Office and Courthouse in Charleston is an important structure. A 1792 courthouse represents county government, while the City Hall, begun in 1800, symbolizes city government. St. Michael’s Church, built between 1752 and 1761, depicts ecclesiastical law. Completing the foursome is the 1896 Post Office, representing the federal government. Although nearly a century separates them, the Renaissance Revival structure is compatible with the three earlier buildings, and is an appropriate expression of the late nineteenth century. The architect for the building was Will A. Freret, who served as Supervising Architect of the Treasury in 1887 and 1888. Built of Winnsboro granite, the Post Office borrows elements from various Renaissance Revival styles. Dark and light stone heightens the contrast between the rusticated basement and first floors and quoining, and the smoother wall surfaces of the two upper stories. The main façade is broken into five advancing and receding planes. A pedimented central block denotes the main entrance. Listed in the National Register August 13, 1974. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 13, 1974
Reference number
74001835
Architectural style
Victorian: Renaissance
Areas of significance
Community Planning and Development; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Courthouse; Post office
Current functions
Courthouse; Post office
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
1896
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Contributing sites: 1

Update Log 

  • January 25, 2016: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • August 19, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 28, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View"
  • July 28, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources