Old Waukesha County Courthouse

101 W. Main St., Waukesha, Wisconsin

Romanesque couthouse, clad in Lannon stone, now serving as a museum.

Photos 

Overview Looking Southeast

This structure is known as the Old Courthouse, but it's actually the new old courthouse. When Milwaukee County was split in 1846, the towns west of Milwaukee became what would someday be called Waukesha County. The county seat was chosen, Prairieville (as Waukesha was called then) was selected. Three lots of the new Prairieville plat were set aside for county buildings, and a courthouse was completed on this site in 1849. This is not that courthouse, this structure replaced the original courthouse in 1893.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning

Enlarge

Map 

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 27, 1975
Reference number
75000082
Architectural styles
Other architectural type; Victorian: Romanesque; Richardsonian Romanesque
Areas of significance
Archeology - Prehistoric; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; D - Information Potential
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Courthouse; Correctional facility; Garden
Current functions
Museum; Government office
Periods of significance
1499-1000 AD; 1875-1899
Significant years
1885; 1893
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Contributing sites: 1

Update Log 

  • July 7, 2011: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status

Sources