Douglas County Courthouse

SE corner of Massachusetts and 11th Sts., Lawrence, Kansas

A Romanesque building of rough hewn limestone designed by John Haskell and Frederick Gunn.

Photos 

Douglas County Courthouse

Photo taken by iconions in February 2013

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

From the National Register application: http://www.kshs.org/resource/national_register/nominationsNRDB/Douglas_DouglasCountyCourthouseNR.pdf

"The three and one-half story native stone Douglas County courthouse is basically rectangular in plan with slight irregularities caused by the clock tower, the stair tower, the gable ends and the entrance features. The exterior walls of the Romanesque structure are constructed of rough-hewn Cottonwood limestone laid in regular courses. A narrow band of smooth cut limestone runs entirely around the building at the first floor sill. A wide band of smooth cut limestone wraps entirely around the building at the first floor lintels.

The dominant feature of the courthouse is the square clock tower. Located on the west side just north of the main entrance, it rises six stories high and is terminated by a pyramidal roof, which in turn is capped by a metal finial. Four large minarets begin on the sixth floor and rise past the roof line, adding to the impressive character of the tower. At the fifth floor small corbelled out balconies with iron railings are placed on all but the east side. The clock in the tower is still in working order."

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 14, 1975
Reference number
75000708
Architectural style
Victorian: Romanesque
Areas of significance
Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Courthouse
Current function
Courthouse
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant years
1903; 1904

Update Log 

  • August 17, 2019: New photos from Ron Reber
  • August 10, 2016: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger
  • March 26, 2013: New photo from Mike LeMasters

Sources