Missoula County Courthouse

220 W. Broadway, Missoula, Montana

Photos 

Missoula County Courthouse

Photo taken by Richard Doody in 2006

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

"The Neoclassical style sandstone Missoula County Courthouse was designed by prominent local architect A. J. Gibson, and erected 1908-1910. Inside the copper-domed clock tower hangs a two-ton bell, and a notable interior decoration is the series of eight historical murals for the main, south entrance, commissioned from Missoulian Edgar S. Paxson for a fee of $1,000. Missoula County is one of Montana’s oldest political subdivisions, organized in 1860 as the section of Washington Territory extending from about the crest of the Bitterroot Mountains eastward to the crest of the Rocky Mountains. Subsequently, the county was in Idaho Territory (1863) and finally Montana Territory (1864). Missoula’s original county seat was at Hell’s Gate, four miles west of here, until 1865, when Higgins and Worden moved their store to the site of the current city. Their saw mill and grist mill, plus the store of Bonner and Welsh, led county commissioners to move the seat of government here in 1866. The original courthouse stood on this site, but had become too small by 1907." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society plaque

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 1, 1976
Reference number
76001125
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Classical Revival
Areas of significance
Art; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Courthouse
Current function
Courthouse
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant years
1908; 1910

Update Log 

  • January 27, 2020: New photo from Bill Eichelberger
  • July 15, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Added historical information
  • April 26, 2018: New photos from Richard Doody

Sources