Colorado County Courthouse

Bounded by Milam, Spring, Travis and Walnut Sts., Columbus, Texas

Photos 

EXTERIOR PERSPECTIVE VIEW OF NORTHWEST CORNER

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Built in 1890 by prominent Texas architect Eugene T. Heiner, it is a production of the political atmosphere in Texas and the prosperity of the community in the late 19th century. The availability of state funding for each county to construct a courthouse encouraged a surge in courthouse architecture. It reflects the style of the period with its combination of French Second Empire, Renaissance Revival, and Italianate influences. The roof and tower of the courthouse were destroyed in a storm in 1909 and were replaced with Classical detailing and a center dome. At this time an interior stained glass dome. At this time an interior stained glass dome was placed in the district courtroom. This courthouse is an excellent example of an evolution of stylistic trends and has represented the focal point for Colorado County civic life for over 100 years. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 12, 1976
Reference number
76002015
Architectural styles
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Classical Revival; Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Courthouse
Current function
Courthouse
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant years
1890; 1891

Update Log 

  • November 10, 2014: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger
  • June 22, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER

Sources