Mariposa County Courthouse

5088 Bullion St., Mariposa, California

Photos 

Historic American Buildings Survey Photo by Wm. H. Knowles May 1936

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Description 

"MARIPOSA COUNTY COURTHOUSE - This mortise-and-tenon Greek Revival courthouse, erected in 1854, is California's oldest court of law and has served continuously as the seat of county government since 1854. During the 19th century, landmark mining cases setting legal precedent were tried here, and much United States mining law is based on decisions emanating from this historic courthouse." - California Historic Landmark No.670

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 7, 1977
Reference number
77000306
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Areas of significance
Law; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Courthouse
Current function
Courthouse
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant years
1854; 1855; 1859

Update Log 

  • March 27, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Add historical information
  • April 28, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER

Sources