Sioux County Courthouse

Off IA 10, Orange City, Iowa

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Calliope was named as the first county seat. In 1872, the county seat moved to Orange City. A frame building was constructed for the courthouse, but it did not stand up to the weather very well. After about 20 years, plans for a new courthouse were devised.

Battles between cities for the honor of being county seat waged on until 1901. Finally, Orange City emerged victorious again and the city celebrated the occasion with great bonfires. A fabulous red and white stone courthouse which is in use today was completed in October of 1904. Its large clock tower is topped by a statue of Justice.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 11, 1977
Reference number
77000559
Architectural styles
Other architectural type; Victorian: Romanesque; Richardsonian Romanesque
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Courthouse
Current function
Courthouse
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant years
1902; 1903; 1904

Update Log 

  • February 13, 2018: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger
  • June 6, 2013: Updated by Dave King: Added description
  • June 6, 2013: Photo imported by Dave King

Sources