US Courthouse

1100 Laurel St., Columbia, South Carolina


U.S. Courthouse, Left Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at


Street View 


The United States Courthouse was designed in 1936 by Harold Tatum, a graduate of the School of Architecture of the University of Pennsylvania and one of the few trained architects to practice in Columbia during the 1930s. The Court House is a notable example of classic Renaissance Revival architecture. The structure is also significant for its use of poured monolithic concrete as a major building material. Although poured monolithic concrete is often used for buildings with plain linear designs, it is unusual for this method of construction to be used on structures with the kind of intricate detailing that characterizes the Renaissance Revival style. The Court House was built to house the United States District Court of Eastern South Carolina, the offices of the Internal Revenue Service, the Department of Justice and the United States District Attorney. The structure features a rusticated ground level, rusticated quoins, smooth walls and trabeated fenestration accented with pediments of various types. The central bay is detailed with Ionic fluted pilasters that support an entablature and plain pediment. The building consists of a full basement, three full floors, and partial fourth and fifth floors. Listed in the National Register March 2, 1979. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 2, 1979
Reference number
Architectural style
Victorian: Renaissance
Area of significance
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic function
Current function
Period of significance
Significant year

Update Log 

  • October 20, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo