Cameron County Courthouse

1150 E. Madison St., Brownsville, Texas

Photos 

Historic American Buildings Survey, Bill Engdahl for Hedrich-Blessing, Photographers, February, 1979 DISTANCE VIEW FROM WEST.

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Cameron County Courthouse, designed by prominent San Antonio architect Atlee B. Ayres, in 1912, is the second Cameron County Courthouse building. It is notable for its academic architectural detailing and striking interior which features a three-story rotunda topped by a stained-glass dome. Lavish plaster ornamentation used in the interior is reminiscent of that used by Louis Sullivan and the Chicago School. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 27, 1980
Reference number
80004084
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Classical Revival
Areas of significance
Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Courthouse
Current function
Courthouse
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1912

Update Log 

  • September 10, 2017: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger
  • June 22, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER

Sources