Douglas County Courthouse

Also known as: 1030741846, 1020751833, 0502783014, 1031771749, 0902712, 02047721
1313 Belknap St., Superior, Wisconsin

Neoclassical structure built of Bedford blue cut stone, with a colonnade and inscriptions on the cornice.

Photos 

South (Front) Elevation and Colonnade

Photo taken by J.R. Manning

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Douglas County was named for Senator Stephen Douglas of Illinois, also an unsuccessful candidate for President in 1860 against Abraham Lincoln. Douglas speculated in land in northwestern Wisconsin.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 9, 1982
Reference number
82000664
Architectural styles
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Classical Revival; Other architectural type; Neo-Classical
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Courthouse
Current function
Courthouse
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant years
1918; 1919

Update Log 

  • August 23, 2013: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status and Added Photos

Sources