Winnebago County Courthouse

Also known as: 1030741846, 1020751833, 0502783014, 1031771749, 0902712, 02047721
415 Jackson St., Oshkosh, Wisconsin

Art Deco courthouse from 1937, featuring bas relief sculpture, bronze fixtures and art deco engraved lettering

Photos 

Northwest Elevation

The courthouse is placed in a diagonal position on a pie-shaped property. The main entrance faces southeast. The secondary entrance is here on the northwest side of the building, allowing easy access from the parking lot.

There are two smaller wings on the northeast (to the left in this photo) and on the southwest side of the building. Each wing has an entry.

The entries are surrounded by bas relief sculptures that celebrate Winnebago County's many residents.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in August 2013

Enlarge

Map 

The Winnebago County Courthouse 

Written by J.R. Manning

The Winnebago County Courthouse is placed in a diagonal position on a pie-shaped property. The main entrance faces southeast. The secondary entrance is on the northwest side of the building, allowing easy access from the parking lot.

The bronze entries are surrounded by bas relief sculptures in limestone, carved by Chicago artisan Alphonso Ianelli that celebrate Winnebago County's many residents, history and industry. Sculpted panels beneath some of the front windows list the communities that comprise Winnebago County.

There are two smaller wings on the northeast and on the southwest sides of the building. Each wing has an entry with the same bas relief sculpted limestone surrounds as the main entrances.

Two revolving doors at the front and rear entrances have been removed. The front revolving door has been brazed shut with a bulletin board added to the interior side. The northwestern revolving door has been replaced with a modern glass door and a vestibule has been fitted over the entrance.

Trees placed on the southeastern lawn have grown enough to obscure the beautiful face of the courthouse, but being deciduous, the building is visible during the months the trees are dormant.

Two beautiful bronze light standards adorn the massive granite stairway that leads to the main entrance. Art Deco railings are adorned with large emblems of the county. War memorial plaques flank the main entrance.

Inside, the lobby is decorated with rose marble with the corridors decorated with grey marble. A logo identifying the county is embedded in the terrazzo floor at the foot of the main stairway.

The building is on the National Register of Historic Places

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 23, 1982
Reference number
82000736
Architectural styles
Modern Movement: Moderne; Modern Movement: Art Deco
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Courthouse; Correctional facility
Current function
Courthouse
Period of significance
1925-1949
Significant year
1937

Update Log 

  • August 22, 2013: Essay added by J.R. Manning

Sources