US Post Office and Courthouse

Also known as: Federal Building and US Courthouse
500 S. Barstow Commons, Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Classical Revival style United States Post Office and Courthouse

Photos 

Overview Looking South

Photo taken by J.R. Manning July 2018

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

"The Classical Revival style United States Post Office and Courthouse at Eau Claire, Wisconsin is three stories high, with a raised basement and a high attic located beneath a flat-topped mansard roof. It is sited near the center of a city block approximately 264 feet long by 165 feet deep, near the south end of downtown Eau Claire. The architect for the original building construction was James Knox Taylor of the U. S. Treasury Department. Construction drawings were completed in 1907, and the building was occupied in June, 1909. A one story addition with a raised basement and a flat roof is located at the rear (southwest side) of the building, and extends nearly to the lot line. The architect for that addition was Louis A. Simon, also of the U.S. Treasury Department. Construction documents for the addition were completed in April, 1933. Construction began in late 1934 and continued until August, 1935, when the addition was occupied.

"The front of the building is on the northeast elevation, facing Barstow Commons (originally Barstow Street). A plaza of concrete extends from the public sidewalk along Barstow Commons to the base of the main entrance stair. The present plaza replaced the original, which was similar in shape and size, but had a raised curb at its edge. The original granite steps leading to the main entrance were replaced with concrete in 1961, but portions of the original oversized granite kneewalls flanking the stair remain, as do the original painted cast iron lamp standards with globe lights, located atop each of the two kneewalls. A concrete access ramp has been installed at this entrance, and, while clearly visible, is relatively unobtrusive."

Condensed from the National Register of Historic Places Restoration Form dated May 1, 1992. Form prepared by Sally A. Guregian of Hasbrouck Peterson Zimoch & Sirirattumrong, Chicago Illinois. A link to the document is listed below.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 25, 1991
Reference number
91000899
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Classical Revival
Areas of significance
Law; Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Courthouse; Post office
Current function
Courthouse
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
1907; 1909; 1933

Update Log 

  • July 22, 2018: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated status, added description and added photos

Sources