Greenville County Courthouse (Old)

Also known as: Greenville Family Courts Building
130 S. Main St., Greenville, South Carolina

County courthouse building in Greenville, SC

Photo 

Old Greenville County Courthouse and Poinsett Hotel

Photo taken by Michael Miller

Enlarge

View this photo at panoramio.com

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Greenville County Courthouse, the fourth building employed in this capacity, is significant as an example of early twentieth century public architecture on a monumental scale in the piedmont South, for the high quality of its design and construction, and for its association with a prominent architect, and is also important to the history of Greenville and Greenville County as the seat of law and local government. The primary architect was Georgia architect Phillip Thornton Marye. The supervising architect for the building was H. Olin Jones; J.A. Jones of Charlotte was the contractor. The courthouse is the only existing public Beaux Arts style building in Greenville County. The building is divided into two sections. The eastern section faces Main Street and is three stories in height; each story is 3900 feet in area. Behind it lies an eight-story tower; each story is 2600 square feet in area. A concrete structure with exterior walls of cream colored brick, the building is ornamented with terra cotta trim and details which are representative of the era and the Beaux Arts style. The building served as the courthouse for Greenville County until 1950 when the court was moved to a new building. The Family Court of Greenville County was located then in the building and remained there until 1991. Listed in the National Register April 7, 1994.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 7, 1994
Reference number
94000300
NR name
Greenville County Courthouse
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Beaux Arts
Areas of significance
Architecture; Law; Politics/Government
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Courthouse
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant years
1916; 1918

Update Log 

  • November 4, 2013: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Overview", Updated "GPS Coordinates"

Sources