Beth Sholom Synagogue

Also known as: Temple Beth Sholom
8231 Old York Rd., Elkins Park, Pennsylvania

Description 

Beth Sholom Synagogue is nationally significant as one of Frank Lloyd Wright's most important commissions during his career. Constructed between 1954 and 1959, the building is Wright's only synagogue, among a relatively small number of religious commissions, stemming from the fruitful collaboration between the famous architect and the congregation's rabbi, Mortimer J. Cohen. Beth Sholom Synagogue is one of a group of sixteen Wright buildings singled out in 1959 by the American Institute of Architects and the National Trust for Historic Preservation as his most important "to the nation...[and] which ought to be preserved in their original form." -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, March 29, 2007

National Register information 

Note: The following information comes from the NRHP database and has not been verified.
Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 29, 2007
Reference number
07000430
Architectural style
Modern Movement; Wrightian
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Religious structure; Church school
Current functions
Religious structure; Church school
Period of significance
1950-1974
Significant years
1954; 1959
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Contributing structures: 1
Contributing objects: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing structures: 1