Old South Meetinghouse

Milk and Washington Sts., Boston, Massachusetts

Photos 

Old South Meetinghouse

1. GENERAL VIEW, LOOKING SOUTH ON WASHINGTON STREET

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street Views 

Description 

Built in 1729-30 as the Second Meeting House of the Third Congregational Church in Boston, gathered in 1669. Pews, pulpit and part of the galleries were removed and destroyed by British troops in 1775. The interior was rebuilt in 1783, and remodeled several times in the nineteenth century. Old South was the site of many important events, particularly meetings leading up to the revolution, and has been preserved since 1876 and restored by the Old South Association in Boston. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS MA-960)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000778
Architectural style
Georgian
Areas of significance
Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Museum
Periods of significance
1700-1749; 1750-1799
Significant years
1729; 1773

Update Log 

  • January 31, 2017: New Street View added by Brian Bartlett
  • July 21, 2015: New photo from Michael Miller
  • July 16, 2014: New photo from Michael Miller

Sources