Plum Street Temple

Also known as: Isaac M. Wise Temple, K.K. B'nai Yeshurun
8th and Plum Sts., Cincinnati, Ohio


Historic American Buildings Survey, Perry E. Borchers, Photographer, 1951 SOUTH FACADE SHOWING CORNER OF ST. PETER IN CHAINS.

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey


Street View 


Built in 1865-66 for B'nai Yeshurun, this is one of the best-preserved Moorish Revival buildings of the 19th century. The rabbi at the time of construction was Dr. Isaac Mayer Wise (1819-1900), an important figure in American Judaism. His leadership made Cincinnati a center for Reform Judaism in America. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, May 15, 1975

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 27, 1972
Reference number
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Moorish Revival
Areas of significance
Architecture; Religion
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
Significant years
1865; 1866

Update Log 

  • May 19, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER
  • July 31, 2010: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Related landmarks