Beth Hillel Synagogue

Irving Ave., Carmel, New Jersey

Map 

Description 

Russian immigrant families settled in Carmel in the late 19th century and early 20th century and a priority of these first citizens was the expression of their religious heritage. An early synagogue located near the Carmel School was rapidly outgrown and the construction of a larger, more permanent house of worship was undertaken. Designed by local architect Louis Mournier, construction of Temple Beth Hillel began in 1900 with the building finally being dedicated in1908. Built through the efforts of the newly transplanted Russian immigrants, the temple was one of the first permanent synagogues in south Jersey... -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS NJ-1252)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 7, 1978
Reference number
78001755
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Classical Vernacular
Areas of significance
Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant years
1901; 1907

Sources