House of Peace Synagogue

Also known as: Big Apple Club, The Big Apple
Hampton and Park Sts., Columbia, South Carolina

Photo 

House of Peace Synagogue, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The structure located at 1318 Park Street was constructed between 1907 and 1910 as a Jewish Synagogue. Its interior architecture, including a notable recessed dome and a balcony, reflect its original function. However, the structure gained its greatest notoriety when used in the 1930s as a black nightclub. During that time, students from the nearby University of South Carolina came to observe dancers at “The Big Apple Club.” The dance, known as the Big Apple, became extremely popular and in 1937 a group of twenty-three from the Big Apple Club appeared in New York before touring the United States. After the nightclub closed, the building became a place of business and was then left vacant until its recent restoration. It is a two-story wooden edifice set upon a raised brick basement. Its gable roof is covered by tin. The structure features a projecting central entrance bay, flanked by wooden pilasters and sidelights, and surmounted by a large arch. On each side of the entrance are tall narrow windows with horseshoe arches. The side facades feature pedimented gables with a roundel. Listed in the National Register August 28, 1979. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 28, 1979
Reference number
79003354
Areas of significance
Architecture; Social History; Performing Arts
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Business
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
1907; 1911; 1937

Update Log 

  • October 15, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Alternate Name", "Description" & "Street Views" and Imported Photo

Sources