Eldridge Street Synagogue

Also known as: Synagogue K'hal Adath Jeshurun with Anshe Lubz
12-16 Eldridge St., New York, New York

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Eldridge Street Synagogue (1887) is the most important artifact of Eastern European Orthodox Judaism in America. It is the first great house of worship built by Eastern European Jews in the United States, located in the neighborhood through which more Jewish immigrants have passed than any other. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, June 19, 1996

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 28, 1980
Reference number
80002687
Architectural styles
Victorian: Gothic; Victorian: Romanesque
Areas of significance
Architecture; Religion
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant years
1886; 1887

Tags 

19th Century (37,703)
Brick (42,462)
Built 1886 (530)
Built during 1880s (6,466)
Gothic (1,438)
Have Street View (44,647)
Herter Bros (1)
National Historic Landmark (2,195)
New York (6,103)
New York County, New York (538)
New York, New York (724)
Place of worship (6,051)
Private owner (54,398)
Romanesque (2,721)
Terra cotta (3,922)
Victorian (19,697)

Update Log 

  • February 28, 2018: New Street View added by Brian Bartlett

Sources