Churchill County Jail

10 W Williams Ave., Fallon, Nevada

Photo 

Churchill County Jail

Photo uploaded from NRHP. National Register #01001546: Churchill County Jail in Fallon, Nevada

NRHP

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The old Churchill County Jail is a simple utilitarian public building with Greek Revival influences. The walls are approximately 20 inches thick consisting of an outer layer of quarried stone, an inner layer of rock rubble, and an interior surface of concrete.

It was built in 1906, two years before Fallon was officially incorporated. Prior to the completion of the jail, inmates were housed in various locations throughout Churchill County. The first location might have been some sort of small crude structure at Buckland Station, east of Fort Churchill, as Bucklands was the county seat in 1861.

The Old Jail is the best-preserved example in the Lahontan Valley of native stone construction.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 9, 2002
Reference number
01001546
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Classical Revival
Areas of significance
Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Correctional facility
Current function
Government office
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1906

Update Log 

  • September 11, 2016: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger
  • May 14, 2013: Updated by Dave King: Added description
  • May 14, 2013: New photo from Dave King

Sources