Pickens County Jail

Also known as: Old Pickens County Jail
N. Main St., Jasper, Georgia

Photos 

Overview

Photo taken by Eddie Douthitt

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

OLD PICKENS COUNTY JAIL This 1906 jail was built to replace the old rock jail that stood behind the courthouse. The rock jail had replaced the first county jail, a two-story log building. Dr. William B. Tate urged the construction of the jail as a grand juror and on two Citizens Committees. The architects were J.W. Coluke and Co.; contractors were William L. Landrum and son. The steel work was installed by the Pauly Jail Co. of St. Louis, Mo., specifically by Luthor Cartwright, who while here married and, eventually settled in Jasper. He later supervised construction of the pink marble mansion in Tate. The work on the front of the jail was done by Lee W. Prather, a local stone worker, using marble from the Delaware Quarry at nearby Marble Hill. The Delaware Quarry was opened c. 1840 by pioneer marble entrepreneur Henry Fitzsimmons. The jail still has a gallows (non-functioning) although no one was ever executed on this device. The most regular residents of the jail were the sheriffs and their families, who lived here rent free. The jail was ordered closed by a federal court order in 1980. The well in the rear, now filled in, provided water for the hundreds of people who came to Jasper for singing conventions. 112-6 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1986

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 12, 1984
Reference number
84001218
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Correctional facility
Current function
Warehouse
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1907

Update Log 

  • October 8, 2010: New Street View added by Eddie Douthitt
  • October 3, 2010: New photos from Eddie Douthitt

Sources