Soo Line Locomotive 2719
Carson Park, Eau Claire, Wisconsin
The last operational steam locomotive on the Soo Line was on display here, but has been restored to running condition and is now on display, when not in use, at the Lake Superior Railroad Museum in Duluth, Minnesota.
Duluth to Two Harbors trip
Photo taken by Jim Allen, Aug 2009
+46.78108, -92.1041246°46'52" N, 92°06'15" W
2719 was one of six Pacific 4-6-2 locomotives ordered from ALCO for the Soo Line. 2719 operated until the mid 1950s when it was restored and put into storage. In 1959, the Soo Line pulled it from storage to pull commemorative trains, then it was retired and given to the City of Eau Claire for display at Carson Park. In 1995, it was restored to running operation. When it is not in use pulling excursions, it is on display at the Lake Superior Railroad Museum in Duluth, Minnesota.
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 10, 1994
- Reference number
- Architectural style
- Other architectural type; Steam Locomotive
- Area of significance
- Level of significance
- Evaluation criteria
- C - Design/Construction
- Property type
- Historic function
- Period of significance
- December 4, 2012: Updated by Jim Allen: Corrected mistrint, Hudson to Pacific & moved coordinates to current location
- May 25, 2011: Updated by Dampf Eisenbahn: UPDATE: 2719 is no longer at this location. It has been restored to operational condition.