Allegheny River Lock and Dam No. 6

1258 River Rd., Freeport, PA

Photos 

Photo taken by Brian Manville on January 28, 2020

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Allegheny River Lock and Dam No. 6 is a historic lock and fixed-crest dam complex located in Armstrong County. It was built between 1927 and 1928 by the United States Army Corps of Engineers, and consists of the lock, dam, esplanade, Operations Building, and two locktender houses. The lock measures 56 feet by 360 feet, and has a lift of 12.4 feet. The dam measures approximately 20 feet high and 992 feet long. The Operations Building, or powerhouse, is a utilitarian two-story building in a vernacular early-20th century revival style. The locktender houses are identical two-story, brick dwellings on concrete foundations. - Wikipedia

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 21, 2000
Reference number
00000400
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival
Areas of significance
Transportation; Maritime History; Architecture; Engineering
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Water-related
Current function
Water-related
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
1927; 1928
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 3
Contributing structures: 3
Non-contributing buildings: 2
Non-contributing structures: 1

Update Log 

  • January 28, 2020: New photos from Brian Manville

Sources 

Comments 

Allegheny River Lock and Dam No. 6
Posted May 24, 2017, by Brian Manville

Army Corps of Engineers contemplates tearing out lightly used locks, dams on upper Allegheny

http://triblive.com/local/valleynewsdispatch/11903594-74/dams-locks-corps