Allegheny River Lock and Dam No. 7

Along PA 4023, 0.6 mi. N of Kittanning Br., Kittanning, Pennsylvania

Photos 

Photo taken by Brian Manville on May 23, 2017

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Allegheny River Lock and Dam No. 7 is a historic lock and dam complex located at East Franklin Township and Kittanning in Armstrong County, Pennsylvania. It was built between 1928 and 1930 by the United States Army Corps of Engineers, and consists of the lock, dam, esplanade, and Operations Building. The lock measures 56 feet by 360 feet, and has a lift of 13.0 feet. The dam measures approximately 20 feet high and 916 feet long. The Operations Building, or powerhouse, is a utilitarian two-story building in a vernacular early-20th century revival style. The lock and dam were built by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers as a part of an extensive system of locks and dams to improve navigation along the Allegheny River. - Wikipedia

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 21, 2000
Reference number
00000401
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival
Areas of significance
Transportation; Maritime History; Architecture; Engineering
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Water-related
Current function
Water-related
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
1928; 1930
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Contributing structures: 4

Update Log 

  • May 23, 2017: Updated by Brian Manville: Added photographs and description from another site.

Sources 

Comments 

Allegheny River Lock and Dam No. 7
Posted May 24, 2017, by Brian Manville

Army Corps of Engineers contemplates tearing out lightly used locks, dams on upper Allegheny

http://triblive.com/local/valleynewsdispatch/11903594-74/dams-locks-corps