The Highland Water Tower was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2007 for its local significance in the area of community planning and development. Highland’s water tower was representative of an important period in the growth and development of the town. Having lost many buildings to fire in the late 1800s and early 1900s, community leaders sought improved infrastructure to avoid future fire-related disasters and to accommodate and encourage new development. Similar water towers sprouted across the country as rural and urban communities planned and developed consistent water supplies to fight fires and improve health through clean water. The Highland Water Tower was constructed in 1913-1914 and featured a steel tank that held 50,000 gallons of water and was elevated on four steel support posts that were 100 feet tall. The Highland Water Tower was dismantled on June 24, 2015. The loss of the resource negatively affects its historic integrity, and the Kansas State Historic Preservation Office requests the property be removed from the National Register of Historic Places. - NRHP Removal Request (October 2015)
Removed from the National Register of Historic Places on 12/29/2015.
March 7, 2016: Updated by Michael Miller: Updated "NRHP Status" and Added "Description"
July 7, 2015: New photos from Bill Eichelberger
July 6, 2015: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "GPS Coordinates" & "Street View" and Updated "Status"
Michael Miller - michael_a_miller [at] yahoo [dot] com