Brick water tower located in the center of a state hospital complex.
Property Type water tower
Historic Use INDUSTRY/PROCESSING/EXTRACTION
Current Use INDUSTRY/PROCESSING/EXTRACTION
Architect/Builder William B. Stratton
The Kalamazoo State Hospital Water Tower is a smooth brick cylinder of medieval fortress inspiration, with a slight projection at the top where the reservoirs and their surrounding curtain wall form an overhang. The overhang is supported by brackets and has a crenelated wall at the top. Above the reservoir area a "look-out" structure projects upward. This section has a steeply pitched roof covered with copper sheeting. Gable dormers at the topmost level are ornamented with pierced wood vergeboards. The tower complements the design of surrounding hospital buildings.
Statement of Significance
More than a strictly functional structure, the Kalamazoo State Hospital Water Tower is a local landmark and an integral part of the Kalamazoo State Hospital. The tower has a long tradition of service to both the hospital and surrounding community, providing water and fire protection. The well-known Detroit architect William Buck Stratton designed the tower, which was completed in 1895. The original slate roof was replaced with copper sheeting in 1964 due to lightning damage and a full renovation was completed in the 1970s which has kept the tower operational.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1895, 1964
Registry Type(s) 03/16/1972 National Register listed
Site ID# P23650