Magnolia Plantation and Gardens

Also known as: Magnolia-on-the-Ashley
10 mi. NW of Charleston on SC 61, Charleston, South Carolina


Magnolia Plantation and Gardens, Facade-2007

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at


Street Views 


Magnolia Gardens, which consists of 390 of the original 1,872 acres, has a long heritage that dates back as far as 1672 when Morris Mathews, one of the first settlers to arrive in the province, received a warrant for 750 acres of land which eventually became part of the Drayton estate and Magnolia Gardens. The gardens were created by the Reverend John G. Drayton during the mid-nineteenth century and is the only private wild fowl sanctuary in the Charleston County area. It is also significant that Rev. Drayton planted many of the first camellias in South Carolina and through hybridization developed many new varieties. The property includes seven wooden slave cabins, the Drayton vault, the plantation house, in addition to the gardens and nursery. Magnolia Gardens has had three plantation homes built on its grounds since its beginning. Both the original and second home were destroyed by fire. The present home, built in 1873, is a one-and-a-half story stucco construction which includes a raised basement and tower. High steps lead to a piazza which is supported by Doric columns and enclosed with a balustrade. A two story, stucco tower is set in a gable roof which also features gabled dormers. Listed in the National Register December 11, 1972. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 11, 1972
Reference number
Areas of significance
Landscape Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Forest; Secondary structure; Graves/burials
Current functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure; Business; Graves/burials; Forest
Period of significance
Significant year
ca. 1850
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 8
Contributing structures: 1
Contributing sites: 2

Update Log 

  • August 18, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 23, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View"
  • July 23, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Related landmarks