Beattie Park Mound Group

Also known as: 11WO11
N. Main St. between Park and Mound Aves., Rockford, Illinois

Photos 

Overview

Beattie Park is located in downtown Rockford, right on the Rock River. The land was owned by two sisters, Anna and Mary A. Beattie. They donated the land to the Rockford Park District in 1920 with the covenant that "…the mounds and native trees peculiar to the area not be destroyed."

Photo taken by J.R. Manning

Enlarge

Map 

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 27, 1991
Reference number
91000084
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Effigy/Conical Mounds
Areas of significance
Archeology - Prehistoric; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; D - Information Potential
Property type
Site
Historic function
Graves/burials
Current function
Outdoor recreation
Periods of significance
1499-1000 AD; 1000-500 AD; 499-0 AD

Update Log 

  • May 11, 2012: New photos from J.R. Manning

Sources