Ramsey Mill and Old Mill Park
Also known as: Hastings City Mills, Lower MillJct of 18th St. and Vermillion R., Hastings, Minnesota
The ruins of an old mill is the focal point of a popular park
Can't Miss the big sign!
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in July 2019
+44.72660, -92.8426444°43'36" N, 92°50'33" W
The Ramsey Mill was a successful operation in the late 19th Century, one of the mills that helped develop Minnesota's very successful milling operations that continue to this day.
The mill was destroyed by fire in 1894 and never rebuilt Fire is a natural hazard in milling operations because of the amount of dust generated during milling itself. The ruins became a park in 1925.
Today, all that remains are the stone walls of the original mill. A dam on the Vermilion River provided power to the mill through a 19 foot drop. The dam is gone but the rushing waters of the river provide a sounding background to the ruins.
For more information about the Ramsey Mill and to see photographs of the operational mill and of the mill after the fire, follow the link below to the NRHP page on the site of the National Park Service.
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 15, 1998
- Reference number
- Areas of significance
- Industry; Entertainment/Recreation
- Level of significance
- Evaluation criteria
- A - Event
- Property type
- Historic functions
- Manufacturing facility; Park; Outdoor recreation
- Current function
- Periods of significance
- 1850-1874; 1875-1899; 1925-1949
- Significant years
- 1856; 1894; 1925
- Number of properties
- Contributing structures: 2
- August 3, 2019: New photos from J.R. Manning
- August 3, 2019: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated status, added description and added photos
- August 2, 2016: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger