Bale Mill

3 mi. NW of St. Helena off CA 128, St. Helena, California

Map 

Street View 

Description 

"This historic gristmill was erected by Dr. E. T. Bale, grantee of Carne Humana Rancho, in 1846. The mill, with surrounding land, was deeded to the Native Sons of the Golden West by Mrs. W. W. Lyman, and was restored through the efforts of the Native Son Parlors of Napa County." - California Historic Landmark No.359

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 22, 1972
Reference number
72000240
Areas of significance
Industry; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Processing; Storage
Current functions
Museum; Park
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant years
1846; 1847
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • March 26, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Added historical info
  • December 13, 2016: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources