Ellerbe's Mill

Also known as: Millvale
About 3 mi. S of Rembert off U.S. 521 on Rafting Creek, Rembert, South Carolina


Ellerbe's Mill, South Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov


Street View 


Built around 1830 by Garner Sanders, Ellerbe’s Mill is a two-and-one-half-story pine clapboard building mounted on wooden pilings situated on a 90-acre millpond. The grist mill, in operation since before the Civil War, is a functioning example of an essential nineteenth century industrial process. Its water power is derived from internal chutes and a turbine rather than a wheel. Modern equipment has been added to the grist mill – working parts were replaced in 1880 and the interior was remodeled in 1928. The building was once a center for social and political interaction in rural Sumter County. Ellerbe’s Mill and the nearby store (originally built before the Civil War but replaced in 1910) once formed the chief commercial center for a 10-mile square area. In addition to the mill and store, structures on the property include a ca.1890 house, several tenant houses, and a dovecote. The two-story white clapboard house was built by W.C.S. Ellerbe, nephew of Sanders, and features a first floor veranda with square columns and gingerbread scroll saw-work and a second floor partially screened porch with a Victorian vine-bracketed balustrade. Listed in the National Register November 20, 1974. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 20, 1974
Reference number
Areas of significance
Industry; Commerce; Architecture; Agriculture
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Manufacturing facility; Business
Current functions
Single dwelling; Business; Manufacturing facility
Period of significance
Significant year
ca. 1830
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 4
Contributing structures: 1

Update Log 

  • October 23, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo
  • October 23, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller