Pigeon Forge Mill

3344 Butler Street, Pigeon Forge, Tennessee

Photos 

Pigeon Forge Mill

Photo taken by Andrew Wood in November 2013

Enlarge

View this photo on Flickr

Map 

Street View 

Description 

In the early 1800's, a water-powered gristmill on the banks of the Little Pigeon River became one of the main hubs of activity in the small mountain community of Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. In those days, the mill faithfully produced the meals and flours that were crucial for the day-to-day existence of the Smokies' early settlers. In fact, The Old Mill even furnished electricity for the town until 1935. One of The Old Mill's most distinctive features is the giant water wheel that harnesses the flow of the Little Pigeon River. Inside the structure, an antiquated yet reliable system of shafts, belts, and pulleys still gets the job done, working to turn the 4600-pound stones and grain elevators. Weighing one ton each, the massive flint granite stones, called French Buhrs, are only the second set ever used in The Old Mill's 175-year history. When they're in action, the stones convert grain into about 1000 pounds of product each day, six days a week. Resident millers then hand-fill, weigh and tie each bag of stone ground grain.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 10, 1975
Reference number
75001778
Area of significance
Industry
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Manufacturing facility
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant year
1830

Update Log 

  • February 12, 2021: New photo from Michael Miller
  • June 6, 2017: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • November 21, 2013: Updated by Andrew Wood: Updated Status
  • November 21, 2013: New photo from Andrew Wood

Sources