Destroyed by fire
Also known as: Genesco Shoe Company701 Dallas Ave., Huntsville, Alabama
Began operation in 1892 as Alabama's largest cotton mill, manufacturing sheeting.
+34.74724, -86.5802134°44'50" N, 86°34'49" W
Dallas Mills was a manufacturer of cotton sheeting. The company was chartered in 1890 by T.B. Dallas, and began operation in 1892 as Alabama's largest cotton mill, manufacturing sheeting. In 1891 the company announced that the Dallas Cotton Mill was to be located in Huntsville, Alabama. At the time Huntsville's population was 1,327 citizens.
The mill village extended from Oakwood Avenue, South to O'Shaughnessy Avenue, and West to Dallas Avenue. Employees were provided homes, medical care, churches, library, lodge building, YMCA, concerts, a kindergarten, and schools.
The mill closed in 1949. Dallas Village was incorporated into Huntsville six years later in 1955. Genesco Shoe Company then used the mill building for a distribution operation until 1985. After that the mill was vacant till the building was destroyed by a fire on July 24, 1991 that lasted three days.
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 18, 1978
- Reference number
- Architectural style
- Victorian: Italianate
- Areas of significance
- Industry; Architecture
- Level of significance
- Evaluation criteria
- A - Event; C - Design/Construction
- Property type
- Historic function
- Manufacturing facility
- Period of significance
- Significant years
- 1891; 1899
- Number of properties
- Contributing buildings: 3
- May 26, 2011: Updated by WillyT: Added description