Anderson's Mill

Anderson Mill Road & Anderson Mill Road, Spartanburg, SC

Historic Mill in Spartanburg, SC

Photos 

Anderson Mill 2

Photo taken by Michael Miller

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Anderson’s Mill is a good example of a water-powered gristmill, a once important element in the economy of eighteenth and nineteenth century piedmont South Carolina. Although the history of Anderson’s Mill may possibly begin in the late eighteenth century, the majority of the mill structure and its machinery are believed to date from the late nineteenth or early twentieth century. Located on the North Tyger River, Anderson’s Mill is a one-and-one-half story frame structure covered by corrugated tin siding. The structure features a low gable roof, with a projecting pent roof along the north façade. Fenestration is irregular. The eastern façade faces the river and features a metal water wheel that generates the power for the milling process. Water from the river is diverted through the wheel by a nearby lock and canal. The structure consists of a basement, main floor, and attic story. Milling machinery includes a feed mixer, self-rising mixer, scales, corn sheller, and a raised platform with a large millstone. The mill was operated commercially until 1975. Listed in the National Register November 14, 1978. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 14, 1978
Reference number
78002529
Area of significance
Industry
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Processing
Current functions
Museum; Park
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
ca. 1900

Update Log 

  • May 20, 2016: New photo from Jim Allen
  • October 15, 2013: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Overview"

Sources