Mills Mill

Also known as: Mills Centre
Mills and Guess Sts., Greenville, South Carolina

Photo 

Mills Mill

Photo taken by Michael Miller in January 2020

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Mills Mill was one of the major mill complexes located within the city of Greenville in the nineteenth century. It was built by Captain Otis P. Mills after the formation of the Mills Manufacturing Company in 1894. The mill opened with a capacity of 5,000 spindles but was expanded to include 27,000 spindles and 740 looms by 1903. Products of the mill were fine cotton sheeting, twills and satins. The Mills company also built an adjacent mill village which included 120 houses, a YMCA, two churches and a public library. By 1903, over 500 people were employed by the Mills Manufacturing Company. In 1918 the mill was purchased by Reeves Brothers, Inc., and they operated the mill until 1979. The mill building is a three-story, brick building containing over 100,000 square feet. The exterior features round arch windows and the five-story tower has corbelled brickwork. On the east fašade is a five-story square tower with arched windows and an open arcade. Two one-story, brick buildings with arched windows and a brick smokestack are also located on the property. Listed in the National Register July 1, 1982. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 1, 1982
Reference number
82003861
Area of significance
Industry
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Manufacturing facility
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant years
1894; 1895
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 3
Contributing structures: 1

Update Log 

  • January 9, 2020: New photo from Michael Miller
  • September 12, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo
  • September 12, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources