Union Mills

Pleasant St., Fall River, Massachusetts

Photos 

Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E. Boucher, Photographer August 1968 AERIAL VIEW #1, LOOKING EAST

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Union Mill was the first Fall River textile company to be financed by stock subscriptions. No. 1 Mill was built in 1859 and No. 2 Mill in 1865. Hale Remington, a Fall River business leader, organized the company, which was the first in Fall River to be financed by stock subscriptions. Number One Mill was built of granite in 1859, and manufacturing began the following year. Number Two Mill was constructed in 1865. The original barn roofs with attics were later raised to provide an additional story for each of the major structures. Further additions to the complex were made in 1877 and 1895. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 16, 1983
Reference number
83000726
Architectural style
Victorian: Italianate
Areas of significance
Industry; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Manufacturing facility
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant years
1857; 1865; 1878

Update Log 

  • January 17, 2017: New Street View added by Brian Bartlett
  • June 2, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER

Sources