Grafton Flour Mill

1300 14th Ave., Grafton, Wisconsin

Former flour and woolen mill now repurposed into retail and offices

Photos 

West and South Faces

The Grafton Flour Mill milled up to 100 barrels per day of White Lily Flour. Eventually, the mill became a part of the Cedarburg Woolen Mill, located to the south. The flour mill machinery was replaced by woolen mill machinery, and it operated until the 1960s. It now houses local businesses, including a yarn store that opened when the woolen mill closed.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in July 2010

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

This one time flour mill, that later was a woolen mill, stopped operation as a mill in the 1960s. It now houses a yarn store and a personal wellness center. The top two floors are vacant and available for rent.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 30, 1983
Reference number
83003409
Architectural style
Other architectural type; 19th Century Industrial
Areas of significance
Industry; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Manufacturing facility
Current function
Business
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1825-1849
Significant years
1847; 1884

Tags 

19th Century (36,898)
Brick (42,460)
Built 1847 (224)
Built during 1840s (2,953)
Grafton, Wisconsin (2)
Limestone (8,192)
Mill (772)
Mills of Grafton TR (2)
Ozaukee County, Wisconsin (40)
Private owner (54,396)
Stucco (7,816)
Wisconsin (2,553)

Update Log 

  • June 19, 2015: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status
  • July 7, 2010: New photos from J.R. Manning
  • July 6, 2010: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Building Data and Status

Sources