Mt. Zion Presbyterian Church

SC 154, St. Charles Rd., Bishopville, South Carolina

Photos 

Mt. Zion Presbyterian Church, Left Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

This Neo-Classical building, constructed in 1911, is an excellent and unusual example of an early twentieth century sanctuary in rural eastern South Carolina and one of the many designs by the architectural firm of Wilson & Sompayrac of Columbia, the most successful firm in the state during the first two decades of the century. Its principals were Charles Coker Wilson and Edwin Douglas Sompayrac. The present sanctuary is the fourth to serve this congregation. The church is a linear gable-front, temple-form, two-story brick building laid in Flemish bond with an eastern oriented façade. Set upon a raised brick foundation surmounted by a soldier course water table, the building’s most imposing feature is its tetrastyle portico featuring a full-width masonry stair with cheek walls and monumental limestone columns and pilasters of the Ionic order. The portico’s pediment, as well as the building’s surrounding entablature, is embellished with modillions. The sanctuary contains walls and ceiling finished in smooth plaster with monumental Doric order pilasters accentuating the wall surfaces between the large Palladian windows, at each corner and to either side of the arched overflow and balconied alcove at the west end of the room. Directly to the rear of the church building is a small, one-story lateral-gabled frame building, constructed in 1851 as Mt. Zion’s Session House. The nominated acreage also contains a large cemetery containing graves of church members dating from ca. 1830 to the present. Listed in the National Register July 17, 2003. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 17, 2003
Reference number
03000661
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Classical Revival
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Periods of significance
1825-1849; 1850-1874; 1875-1899; 1900-1924
Significant years
1851; 1911
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2
Contributing sites: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Update Log 

  • September 22, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo
  • September 22, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources