Saint Michael and All Angels' Episcopal Church and Cambridge Township Cemetery

11646 Old Monroe Pike, Cambridge Township, Michigan

Map 

Description 

A Michigan Historical Marker here reads: St. Michael and All Angels Church

The Reverend William Narcissus Lyster founded St. Michael and All Angels Church in 1843. One of only four Episcopal clergy at the time. Lyster established several churches in the area. In 1855 the Right Reverend Samuel A. McCroskry, the first Episcopal bishop of Michigan, laid the cornerstone of this Gothic Revival church, which was dedicated on October 31, 1858. Cambridge Township's earliest settlers, including tavern-keepers Sylvester and Lucy Walker attended this church. St. Michael and All Angels Church. and the adjacent Cambridge Township Cemetery, begun in 1838, are listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 4, 2004
Reference number
03001550
Areas of significance
Architecture; Exploration/Settlement; Religion; Art
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
B - Person; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Religious structure; Cemetery
Current functions
Religious structure; Cemetery
Periods of significance
1825-1849; 1850-1874; 1875-1899; 1900-1924
Significant years
1838; 1855; 1858
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Contributing sites: 1

Tags 

19th Century (37,305)
Brick (42,460)
Built 1838 (181)
Built during 1830s (2,692)
Church (5,634)
Lenawee County, Michigan (54)
Michigan (1,917)
Place of worship (5,997)
Rev. William N. Lystra (1)
Stone (26,161)

Sources