Deering Memorial United Methodist Church

39 Main St., Paris, Maine

Photos 

1911 Deering Memorial United Methodist, 39 Main St., Paris, Maine

Photo taken by Brian Bartlett

View this photo at panoramio.com

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Criterion C: Architecture Criterion Consideration A: Religious association. Local significance. The Deering Memorial United Methodist Church in South Paris, Maine was erected between 1910 and 1911 and is the only known commission in Maine by the Cleveland, Ohio architectural firm of Sidney Rose Badgley and William Nicklas. Built out of granite quarried in nearby Bryant Pond, the cruciform-shaped structure with crenellated entrance tower, prominent buttresses, and large stained glass windows, was designed in a Late Gothic Revival style reminiscent of the English Perpendicular Gothic. On the interior, the sanctuary features dramatic hammer beam trusses with supporting arches, as well as handsome quarter-sawn oak pews, trim, and furnishings. While the overall massing, materials and style of the church alludes to late-medieval precedents, the interior arrangements reference nineteenth century liturgical reforms, including a modified Akron style lower-level classroom area, and an auditorium style seating arrangement in the sanctuary. The Deering Memorial United Methodist Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places for its architectural significance.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 24, 2008
Reference number
07001444
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Late Gothic Revival
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant years
1911; 1910

Update Log 

  • November 30, 2016: New Street View added by Brian Bartlett
  • June 5, 2014: Photo imported by Brian Bartlett

Sources