Wesley Methodist Church

Also known as: Wesley Methodist Episcopal Church, Wesley United Methodist Church
1727 Gervais St., Columbia, South Carolina

Photo 

Wesley Methodist Church, Right Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Wesley Methodist Church, built in 1910-11, illustrates the impact of segregation in the lives of African Americans during the Jim Crow era in Columbia. Because it is a historically African-American church, Wesley Methodist Church helps explain religious segregation, particularly within the Methodist denomination. The church is also significant as a good example of Late Gothic Revival church architecture in Columbia in the early twentieth century, and as an excellent example of the work of Columbia architect Arthur W. Hamby. Wesley Methodist Church was founded in 1869 as the Columbia Mission. Their first chapel was built between 1870 and 1873 and was later sold when the Columbia Mission purchased property at the corner of Gervais and Barnwell Streets. In 1910, the Columbia Mission was renamed Wesley Methodist Episcopal Church. Set on a partially subterranean basement that is capped with a stone or cast stone water table, Wesley Methodist Church features a solid brick wall foundation and exterior walls. The primary facade has asymmetrical twin towers, with the taller tower on the east side. The fašade is crenellated with stone and brick battlements along the top and at the tops of the towers. Between the two towers is a triple, pointed arch window with tracery, stained glass panels, and a cream-colored limestone drip mold. Each side facade has eight, pointed-arch stained-glass windows with cream-colored sandstone drip molds. A cross-gabled bay transept projects from the building and features a gabled parapet and a large pointed-arch stained-glass window identical to the primary facade. Listed in the National Register January 29, 2009. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 29, 2009
Reference number
08001398
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Late Gothic Revival
Areas of significance
Architecture; Social History; Ethnic Heritage - Black
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949; 1950-1974
Significant year
1911
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Update Log 

  • October 20, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "GPS Coordinates", "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photos

Sources