Kawaiahao Church and Mission Houses

957 Punchbowl St., 553 S. King St., Honolulu, Hawaii

Photos 

Chamberlain House

1. WEST FRONT FROM NORTHWEST

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

Built in 1830-31, the Chamberlain House is one of the early masonry houses constructed on Oahu. Mr. Levi Chamberlain, business agent for the Sandwich Island Mission, built the structure to provide storage space for the goods of the mission and living quarters for his family. After the death of Mr. Chamberlain in 1849, his widow continued to live in the house until her death in 1880. Rented briefly by the Chamberlain heirs, the house became the property of the Hawaiian Mission Children's Society in 1910. Completely renovated in 1919, it was opened as a museum in 1920; the Carter Library of Hawaiiana occupying the second floor. Since 1950 when a new library building was constructed, the offices of the Society have occupied two rooms; the remainder of the house being open to the public as part of the Mission Houses Museum. In 1965 the group of buildings were designated a National Historic Landmark. It includes the Chamberlain House, the Frame House, the Printing House, and the Kawaiahao Church. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS HI-4)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000294
Areas of significance
Ethnic Heritage - Pacific Islander; Religion; Social History
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Religious structure; Church school; Church related residence
Current functions
Religious structure; Church school; Church related residence
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant years
1838; 1842
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 6
Contributing sites: 1

Update Log 

  • May 27, 2018: New photos from Richard Doody

Sources