Plymouth Church of the Pilgrims

Also known as: Plymouth Church
75 Hicks St., New York, New York

Photos 

Plymouth Church

1. Historic American Buildings Survey, E.P. MacFarland, Photographer April 26, 1934, VIEW FROM SOUTHWEST.

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Between 1849 and the outbreak of the Civil War, Henry Ward Beecher, noted abolitionist and minister of Plymouth Church, made the church a center of antislavery sentiment. William Lloyd Garrison and John Greenleaf Whittier were among other abolitionists who preached from its pulpit. The church, established as Brooklyn's Second Congregational Church, was designed to accomodate the crowds that came to hear Beecher and his cohorts. Its simple design reflects the Puritain ethic of plain living and high thinking, and the walls that once rang to the sound of abolition oratory remain largely unchanged. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, July 4, 1961

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000525
Areas of significance
Religion; Social History
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant year
1849

Update Log 

  • February 13, 2018: New Street View added by Brian Bartlett

Sources