St. John's Church

Also known as: St. John's Church (Episcopal)
16th and H Sts., NW, Washington, District of Columbia

Photos 

Historic American Buildings Survey F. D. Nichols, Photographer December 1938 VIEW LOOKING EAST

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The original portion (1816) with the major addition (1820) is one of the older existing churches of the city. The central dome and transepts have been modified little from the original work of Benjamin H. Latrobe, and the building is a notable example of the Classical Revival (Greco-Roman) Period. Soon after its opening a pew was assigned to the family of President James Madison, and he and the next five presidents attended regularly. Since that time it has been known as "the church of the Presidents", and it is associated with many figures and events of the National Capital. In 1961 it was designated a National Historic Landmark. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS DC-19)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000868
Architectural style
Federal
Areas of significance
Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1800-1824
Significant year
1816

Update Log 

  • April 27, 2017: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • May 11, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER

Related landmarks 

Sources