St. James Episcopal Church, Santee

Also known as: St. James Church,Santee
17 mi. S of Georgetown on the Santee River, Georgetown, South Carolina

Photo 

Saint James Episcopal Church-Santee, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Constructed in 1768, this structure is a little-altered example of late 18th century efforts to give South Carolina's country Georgian churches a more sophisticated exterior design. St. James is 5 bays long and 3 bays wide, with a classic pedimented portico on the front facade. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, April 15, 1970

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 15, 1970
Reference number
70000581
Architectural style
Georgian
Areas of significance
Exploration/Settlement; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant year
1768

Update Log 

  • August 19, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 28, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Sources