First Presbyterian Church

Also known as: Downtown Presbyterian Church, Old First Presbyterian Church
154 5th Ave., N., Nashville, Tennessee

Photos 

First Presbyterian Church

1. North front from northeast

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

Designed by William Strickland in 1849, the First Presbyterian Church is the largest and best preserved example of an Egyptian Revival church building in America. // Designed in 1849 for the First Presbyterian Church by William Strickland, architect for the State Capitol, the building was completed in 1851. It is representative of the Egyptian style of architecture with Egyptian columns and moldings. Once Nashville's largest building, it was used as a hospital and stables during the Civil War. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS TN-17)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 8, 1970
Reference number
70000608
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Egyptian Revival
Areas of significance
Architecture; Military
Levels of significance
National; Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Hospital; Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Periods of significance
1825-1849; 1850-1874
Significant years
1849; 1851

Sources